Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday Meme: One Thing



Theme
We start our homeschooling journeys with expectations of ourselves and our children. Sometimes they are unrealistic, sometimes they are pretty accurate. What are some of the aspects of homeschooling that surprised you? Did you find you were harder or easier than you expected? What have your children taught you? What can you share with new parents regarding expectations? What do you wish you'd known from the beginning? What has been the greatest 'personal' lesson you have received through your homeschooling journey?

Our homeschooling journey began in 2001. We had moved to the rural part of southwest Florida. Being so far out in the country, we decided to homeschool The InquisitorPhotobucket , who was entering first grade at the time. The first year of homeschooling was a breeze, because he had already learned how to read, write, and add during his kindergarten year at a private school. In reality, I was the student, and he was the teacher. He was teaching me how to teach him.

What surprise me most about homeschooling is that what works for one child may not always work for another child. MinniePhotobucket , who is 2.5 years younger, is a visual and hands-on learner. On the other hand, The Inquisitor is an audio and a visual learner. Singapore Math, prints in black and white, was perfect for The Inquisitor; However, Minnie prefers Abeka Math, which has color pictures.

Teaching the kids PhotobucketPhotobucket is easier than I expected. I have trained them to work independently and to stay focus. Somedays they get their done so fast that sometimes I wonder if I am giving them enough daily work. In many words, I still have issues with quantity ~vs~ quality. For example, The Inquisitor completed fifteen algebra 2 problems, Apologia Module 2 Summary, and studied for PSAT in two hours. Because he finished everything in a short time, I feel guilty for not assigning him more schoolwork.

My children Photobucket Photobuckethave taught me to be an active leader. I must be in charge of my kids' interests and hands-on education. If there is a skill that I want the children to learn, and it is not being offered, I must take it upon myself to see it happen. This means finding a qualify teacher, spreading the words to the homeschool community, and setting up the class at a local church.

If I was starting homeschool tomorrow, I wish someone had told me to be more flexible in my schedule. I don't have to follow the county's school schedule. The kids can go to school all year round, take a break every three months, or take two off two summer months and take off the whole month of December.

Besides being able to be with my kidsPhotobucket Photobucket 24-7, the greatest personal experience I have received through my homeschooling journey is meeting many Christian moms.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Isn't it amazing how different our children are? I couldn't teach mine the same way either. They both have completely different styles of learning.
    We live near Chattanooga, but my husband worked in Birmingham for two weeks each month for a couple of years. We spent lots of time in Birmingham with him. There was so much more to do there than where we live.
    Pam
    Anonymous said...
    You're right about learning how to teach each child!!! Mine are polar opposites... one is content to sit and get the work done ~ the other needs to move (he's VERY kinetic : } )

    For me, it was learning that it's ok if I don't teach them EVERYTHING!! If I teach them HOW to get the info, then I'm successful!!! Gotta love that freedom!!!

    I loved stopping by!!! I'll have to add you and come again!!!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Robyn
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sonoranstamper/

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates