Friday, November 21, 2008
Homeschool Weekly #15: Retaking Algebra 2
Posted by Speaking from the Heart at Friday, November 21, 2008A dear friend gave me an almost complete set of Saxon Algebra 2 curriculum. The only thing missing is the complete solution to the tests; however I do have the answer key. Being thrifty, I opted not to buy the solution book. For any problems that The Inquisitor misses, I would work out the steps. I have an electrical engineering degree. I took differential equations in college. Algebra 2 should be a breeze. Right? (LOL).
I usually have to solve a couple of problems. However, there were 9 problems this week. I had to looked through the textbook for examples. It took me more than an hour. It seems like I am retaking the course. However, this time I have a better understanding of how to approach the problem. I must be able to apply mathematical rules, before I can solve the problem. I didn't understand this concept the first time I took it. Take the following problem as an example:
Find an equation of the line that passes through point (7, 5) and is perpendicular to the line 2x-3y=6
Before I can solve this problem, I must remember that if two lines are perpendicular, the slope one line is the negative inverse of the other. Once I retrieve this information from my cobwebbed brain, I am able to set up the problem, and the calculation becomes a breeze.
Labels: Homeschooling
1 Comment:
-
- Denise said...
November 21, 2008 at 7:08 AMYou are very wise my friend.





