Monday, November 23, 2009
30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 23... Protecting The Tender Hearts
Posted by Speaking from the Heart at Monday, November 23, 2009My friend's son attended a gifted elementary school. The school was a mixture of social classes. Because the kids had to wear uniforms, they didn't know who was wealthy and who was poor. When he approached junior high, he returned to a public school and uniforms are not required.
Without uniform comformity, the kids know who are wealthy, middle class, or poor. The rich kids often think that everyone wants to be his/her friend, because of his wealth. On the other hand, the poor kids long for acceptance by their peers.
I remember trying so hard to be accepted by my peers. I had two things against me. I was Vietnamese and I lived in a rural town. Just like today, those who live in the country is automatically considered to be a redneck.
I am thankful that I can shield my kids from unneccessary pain ( i.e. name calling). I am also thankful that it is my choice to send my kids to public schools.
Labels: Thanksgiving
2 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




One post of gratitude, everyday of November. Click on

I am proud of my daughter though. She is friends with kids in all social classes.