Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, January 14, 2009



After reading Luanne's 6 Weeks to Live, I began to wonder about my life-- how would I spend my last days/hours/minutes/seconds.

If I knew if I had 6 weeks to live, will I have many regrets:

Not visiting mom and sister more than twice a year?

Not forgetting about the sinkful of dishes , cuddle in bed with Minnie, read and chat until we fall asleep?

Not spending more time saying good night to each child, rather than hurrily trying to rush out of their bedrooms?

Not kissing and hugging my son in public?

Not contacting my high school friends and thank them for their friendships?

Not blogging as much?
Not spending enough with my family?

Do I need a "6 Weeks to Live" wake up call, before I make changes? The truth is, I need to make changes today. Only God knows how long I will remain on this earth.

You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

Psalm 139:16

I regret not having one more day with dad. The day (March 2001) that I comtemplated about going to Alabama, was the day that he passed away. I talked myself out of visiting him, because airline tickets were expensive; I had to take care of a todler and a kindergartener. etc. If I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate one bit.

What about you? Do you need to reconcile a broken relationship? Do you need to know your children better? Do you need to visit your parents more? Do you need a "6 week to live" wake up call before you do anything? Why wait? Six weeks is a short period to make up for loss time.

For more WFW, click on the clip art.

15 Comments:

  1. Marsha said...
    This is so touching. I'm tearing up.

    Thank you for this. I'm heading over to Luanne's.
    Debra Kaye said...
    Jean,

    I was given that wake up call about 8 months ago! I try to live everyday of my life the way God would want me to. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. With my heart condition, it makes it that much more precarious for me.

    This is a great post, my friend. Very wise, counsel, indeed! Hugs to you!
    Laurie Ann said...
    Our lives really are fleeting, aren't they? Praying I'm awake already and make the most of every opportunity. I know there are areas I need to improve in...I'm so sorry about the loss of your father. I cannot imagine...
    He & Me + 3 said...
    Thank you for the call. Yes...I think we all can do just a little better in some areas. Wonderful post!
    Kristi said...
    I loved your honesty in this post. It is a good lesson for all of us. Our family has given much thought to this in the past few short weeks.

    On a lighter note. One of the guys from Legacy 5 always says, that he would spend his last hour w/ his in-laws...because it would be the longest hour of his life. Oh, my!
    Alicia The Snowflake said...
    Wow my friend! Definitely something to think about. And I am sure there are some things I need to change now. Thanks for making me think! Take care my friend! I hope you are having a good week!
    Hopie said...
    If only we could live like this every day.
    Amydeanne said...
    very provoking post!
    Toia said...
    This is such a touching and powerful post. I know there are changes I need to make myself. And I definitely don't want a "Six weeks to Live" wake up, as well.

    This post really make you think over what's really important and not to take life and little things for granted.

    Great Post!! Stay Bless and Stay Strong!!
    Anonymous said...
    God gave me the wonderful priviledge of walking both my parents home to be with their Lord and Saviour. Dad died in '74 and although he was only 60 he had been a diabetic since 18, when they sent them home to die and he helped pioneer a way to increase work, insulin and food in balance, and did work all his life. I was blessed that he would not grow older and endure any more illness..he was safe home. With my Mum it was in '03 when she was a month short of '90 and again it was time. We called it the waiting room, as we waited for God's perfect time. She waited till I came in on the last day and settled her and then she seemed not to need to hold my hand, so I read until a little cough told me she was safe home.
    In both cases we knew and had time to prepare and I do not think we did anything very differently but as an only child we were there.
    I was medically unable to have chn and live alone now and am in the middle of clearing out some of the 'Stuff' in my walk in robe. So good to see space, and so good to know that sometime in the future my poor executor will not have too much clutter....so I find myself ridding myself of clutter. Mind you I still collect, but it is interesting to think about someone having to deal with, clear away your 'stuff'...photos and things meaningful to you but will not in my case be meaningful to any heirs etc.
    Maybe if it was 6 weeks I would hire extra help.........but I do agree we need to live as if each day may be our last and try very hard to allow God to assist us in not letting that sun go down on anything unresolved.
    Luanne said...
    The hard part about this is living EVERY day with this perspective. I can get it for a day or two, and then I get caught up in busyness, stress and every day stuff again. God bless!
    bp said...
    Wow, thank you for sharing. We really don't know how long we have. Thanks for posting this and making me think.
    Denise said...
    Such a touching post.
    Trina said...
    I love reading all you post . . . thank you for being so open with all of us. I love you and think you are an awesome women of God. Love you
    Julie Gillies said...
    Truthfully, I think we should all live as if we only have 6 weeks left to live...in other words, purposefully.

    I SO agree with the blogging less thing. That's why I only post once a week. Priorities.

    Stay warm. Be blessed.

    (Don't know if you were at P.E. Wednesday but I sure didn't see you, though I saw your son playing basketball with Emily. Sorry I missed you!)

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates