Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Over Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have heard so many wonderful stories about my ancestors. There were also stories about my childhood, which I totally had forgotten. I have made a mental note of each story and have every intentions of documenting it. In order to help me in this area, I have decided to blog a weekly story about my ancestors,and about my and Prince Charming's childhood. I want to have these stories written down, before my memory escapes from me, and to leave a legacy for my children and for future generations.
When mom told me that she was going to remarry, and we were going to live in America, I was very excited. What seven year old wouldn't want the opportunity to fly in an airplane? It took a year for stepdad and mom to process our visas. During that time, I got to know my stepdad better. He was a gentle man. I knew he was going to take good care of me, sister and Mom. At the same time, I didn't want to leave my grandmother behind. She was my primary caregiver. Mom had to work, after my biological dad died . If I weren't in school, I was grandmother's shadow.
The reality of leaving my grandmother behind did not register, until the day I said my farewell to her. As I waved goodbye from inside of a taxi cab, and the image of her got smaller, flood of tears were nonstop. Every waking hour, I was crying. I was all right, when we were doing something; however, when it was time for bed, the crying began again. Tired of being on an airplane for two days, and dealing with my crying, My stepdad told me that he would give me something to cry about. He spanked me once. This is the first time he spanked me. Looking back, it might have stung, but I was humiliated by the whole ordeal. I told him that when I return to Vietnam, I would tell my grandmother.
Unfortunately, I never got the chance. I have not returned to Vietnam, and she passed away 20 years ago. However, Mom never let me forget her. Through the years, she told stories about grandmother and me. When I was a todler, after an afternoon nap, grandmother took me to the market for treats. On my first day of school, Grandmother took me to school and went on with her errands. When she returned home, guess who was waiting for her? Me.
As I watch Minnie with Mom, I am so happy that Minnie will have a lifetime of memories of her grandmother.
Labels: Herstory, I Remember When
13 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






May the Lord bless your 2009!
I just read Denise's story and it just truly touched my heart. You are a sweetheart for doing this meme...it really is a precious thing to do!
Hope your Christmas was blessed! Love ya bunches!
Take care my friend!
I hope you have a great week!
Mama Bear
Blessings,
Mary
Blessings...