Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, February 7, 2008

They Didn't have to Be



For more Thankful Thursday, click on the clipart.
I would like to tribute this joyfyul Thankful Thursday to two very special men, my stepdad Ron and my father-in-law Pete. This is part 2 of 2 of last week's Thankful Thursday.

In the early 70's, these 25+ year old men took on great responsibilities. When they got married, each of them gained an instant family. Each had to share his bride with her children. Ron and Pete never complaint how hard it was to raise someone else's kids. They treated the children, as if they were theirs. Ron and Pete worked hard to provide food, clothing, and shelter for their already-made families.

While dear husband and I were growing up, we did not understand what big sacrifices our dads had made for our moms and siblings. Like all teenagers, we had our moments with our stepdads. Like Christ, Ron and Pete loved us unconditionally. [They] Didn't Have To Be (by Brad Paisley)


Ron has gone home to be with the Lord. However, we are blessed to still have Pete with us. He turned 70 this past May. He loves spoiling his grandchildren and great grandchildren. Sweets is his weakness. He hides his "emergency" sweets all around the house. It's funny how his grandchildren and great grandchildren can find these sweets without a clue. He is a softy when it comes to his grandchildren.

Thank you, Lord for allowing the paths of Ron and Trinh, as well as the paths of Pete and Susie, to cross. If this wasn't in your plans, Dear Husband and I would not be blessed with a wonderful marriage and two wonderful children.

P.S. I want to thank Iris for hosting Thankful Thursday. It has helped me to express my thankfulness to my loved ones.

P.S.S. Although Dad and I had made peace with each other before he went HOME, I didn't have a chance to say good-bye. He died on the day that I talked myself out of visiting him. I encourage you today to reconcile with your loved ones, before it is too late. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

15 Comments:

  1. eph2810 said...
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tribute.

    I have to totally agree with your last statement. We should all make peace with the ones we are in difference with. We do not know what tomorrow brings.

    Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.

    Blessings to you and yours...
    Lori said...
    Wow thank you for sharing your heart and it is such a great reminder of not putting off what we should do today.

    Thank you for sharing the story of your stepdad and FIL.
    Denise said...
    Such a lovely tribute, bless you dear one.
    Unknown said...
    I loved this post. You heart is awesome and I appreciate the depth of your soul.

    Also, the very last paragraph is Godly advice. Oh, how I hope people will take the iniative to make peace with their family.

    Great Post.
    Anonymous said...
    what a wonderful tribute!
    thank you for sharing ... :)
    Cheryl said...
    I love the tribute to the men. It is good to hear stories like these. Thanks for sharing. God Bless!
    twinklemom said...
    Beautiful tribute and very touching words!
    Anonymous said...
    Such beautiful and heartfelt words. Thank you for sharing such valuable reminders from your own life. May you continue to grow more and more each day.
    Ann said...
    Thanks for this wonderful tribute! I worry for my MIL--she hasn't talked to some of her sisters for years, and they live across the street from eachother!
    A Stone Gatherer said...
    Very true! We must let our loved ones know that we love them! Thanks for the reminder! Have a great day!
    Trina said...
    sniff, sniff. We are such kindred spirits my sister in Christ. I to have a wonderful step-dad. He adopted be when I was 13. It wasn't untill a became a step-mom did I understand what he gave up for me. That first 2 years I called him almost every day telling him how sorry I was for the way I treated him. God is so good to all of us. Thank you for sharring.
    Susan said...
    Wow, how sweet! So nice of you to honor such great men.

    Hey, I like the look of your new blog!

    Blessings!
    bp said...
    This is such a sweet tribute. Thank you.
    Anonymous said...
    Your tribute was "spoken from the heart". Thank you for the reminders on forgivness.

    Kathy b
    Marsha said...
    I love the way you choose to honor your family each week. What a wonderful thing, to give honor and blessing.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates