Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, February 29, 2008

The Little Red Sweater




This little red sweater was made with love by my grandmother. She gave it to me before I left for America. Besides keeping me warm during those chili days and nights, the little red sweater was a constant reminder of my dear grandmother. Unfortunately, I never returned to Vietnam before she passed away.

When the little red sweater did not fit me anymore, I put it in the bottom of my drawer. Many times, the little red sweater ended up in the Goodwill bag. However, I managed to rescue it, before Mom made her trip to Goodwill. When I graduated from college, the little red sweater came with me.

The little red sweater was tucked away in the back of my dresser for many years, until dear daughter was old enough to wear it. Dear daughter wore the little red sweater for a couple years. Today, the little red sweater is safely tucked away. If the Lord is willing, I will see my grandaughter wearing it in 26 years from now.
For a 36 year-old sweater, it is still in good condition. There is no rip nor hole. This little red sweater has become a family heirloom. I hope that as each generation wears it, her mom will tell the adventure of the little red sweater.

10 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    That is such a sweet story and a lovely memento of your grandmother's love.
    Anonymous said...
    You know what would be REAL neat ?
    If you could somehow make this into a childrens book. This sounds like the perfect story. What a BEAUTIFUL heirloom my SSiC. Thanks for sharing it. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((hugs)) my SSiC
    In Him<><
    -Mary
    Trina said...
    I agree with Mary you should write abook about it.
    Anonymous said...
    I love it! What a sweet and precious reminder of your grandmother. Everyone's right, what a sweet story this little sweater could tell. I'm glad you never were able to part with it. It will only get more precious with time and to those it's passed down to.
    Jennifer Hoots said...
    A treasure indeed! I am glad that you saved it from Good Will. Just imagine!!!! Have a good weekend.
    Jenn
    Gina said...
    Oh how special. I am so glad you saved that precious little sweater. Thanks for sharing.
    Gina R.
    Andi Carter said...
    That is precious! The pic of your DD is so special, too. I made my DD a little red sweater, but I gave it away to a needy family. What was I thinking?!! At the time it seemed the right thing to do, but my DD still is upset that she doesn't have that baby sweater for her own little ones. She says I didn't keep anything of hers as a baby, and she's right. Bad mistake.
    So now I crochet sweaters, hats, and blankets for all my grandkids, and she tucks them away. (She's pg with #6 so I'm pulling out the yarn once again).

    Oh, BTW, I can't seem to figure out how to pull up that Homeschool Lounge graphic so I can put my picture into it. I can't copy it or save it or anything. Could you please tell me how you did it?
    thanks.
    bubbebobbie said...
    Oh that is such a very dear sweater. But what happens when your daughter loves it as much as you and it begins sleeping in her dorm? May your grandchildren and great-grandchildren love this sweater!

    because of Jesus, Bobbie
    Anonymous said...
    Very sweet story.
    Anonymous said...
    Oh that story was just precious! Don't dare throw that sweater away! LOL I'm so sentimental. I love keepsakes.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates