Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Day 5: Let No Corrupt Communication Proceed Out of Your Mouth.....
Posted by Speaking from the Heart at Tuesday, February 05, 2008but of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." Eph. 4:29
Another way to describe the positive side of this "30-Day Encouragement Challenge" is by using the word "edify," which means, "to build up." Negative comments only discourage and tear down. Positive comments encourage and build.
Do you edify your husband before others, adding to his value in their eyes? This is especially important to other family members.
Do you praise your husband to his relatives, and yours? Does your husband's mother know how much you love him? How about your dad? Perhaps you can drop a word of praise into a conversation or letter. Be creative in letting your relatives know that you respect your husband, love him, and support him - in spite of whatever flaws and weaknesses he may have.
Copyright Revive Our Hearts. Written by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Used with permission. http://www.reviveourhearts.com/.
As I was growing up, I heard Mom's friends bashing their husbands. I made a promise to myself that if I can't praise my future husband, I shouldn't say anything at all. Of course, this is hard to live by, and sometimes I slip.
I know when I slip, because my mood completely turn 180 degrees. Dear husband doesn't need this, especially when I'm trying to witness to him through my actions. He needs to hear me praising him, just like I like to hear him brag about me to his parents.
When we were dating, twenty something years ago, did you ask yourself "What would I be doing twenty years from now?" Did you have a clue that you would be replacing sidings on my mom's house? Besides you, I don't know a single man who would spend his vacation working on his mother-in-law's house. Your love for me speaks loud and clear, as you remove rotted wood in the hot sun. My darling, you don't need to shower me with roses and gifts to affirm your love, I see your love through your actions.
Love always,
Your Loving Wife
Labels: Marriage
2 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I was never around my mother's friends enough to hear how they spoke. But, I did notice that my friends bashed their boyfriends, and when we became older, their husbands. It was weird. Sometimes, yes, they would complain (and most times misrepresent) about their husbands when things were bad...but there was this weird "talk about him as if he were a child" thing going on when things were going relatively fine. This was something I was never exposed to growing up, and to be honest, is a now pet peeve of mine to hear women speak about their husbands in such a manner. I made up my mind then to never, even in jest, lower my husband's stature.