Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Holiday Open House 2007


Where did November go? I can't believe that we're already in December. To get into the spirit of Christmas, we attended The Nutcracker. I loved it. We sat thru the whole perfomance this time. I had taken the kids to see it when Mark was 4 years old. Needless to say, he was not interested in it. However, he loved it, the second time around. I am surprised that the performance did not appeal to Katherine. She would rather see plays that have dialogue.
We'll be taking off from school in December. We take a month off every 5th month. Does that mean we'll get some rest? Probably not . Our calendar is quickly filling up with our annual traditions. We'll have friends over for a traditional Christmas in the country. we'll be caroling at a nursing home with our homeschool friends, and we'll be making chocolate covered pretzels & baking cookies. My favorite tradition is adding the kids' school pictures to the tree. I have been doing this since their first Christmas. It is fun to see how much they have changed through the years.



We might be starting a new tradition this year. Our relatives are coming to our house for Christmas, instead of us going to them.



Every Year, my daughter looks forward to setting up the Christmas Village












As Christmas approaches, I ponder about my past Christmases and evaluate how it has changed me to be a better wife, mom, daughter and friend. Here are some blogs from Christmas 2006.
A Blessing in Disguise
Realizing that more money was going out and less money was going to savings, Jeff and I decided it was time for a life style change.

It was hard on all of us. Dear husband had time to go boating, but we didn't have the extra funds for the fuel; Our kids were told that there was a decrease in their allowances, and they would be receiving 2 Christmas gifts. I had to learn how to be creative in my meal planning, spend more time at home doing things I have been putting off doing, and finding ways to give Christmas gifts without a lot of money involved.
These life challenges were a blessing in disguise. Dear husband was able to spend more time with the family. Our children thought twice before spending their money. They realized how hard it was to earn and to save. They looked at Christmas in another perspective, rather than the number of gifts they received. They focused their attention on family time and Christ.


I learned a lot about myself during this time. The kids didn't have to attend all home school outings. I didn't have to go to the grocery store, every time I went to the freezer and didn't see anything I liked to eat for dinner. Many things I thought I needed were unnecessary. Because I had to stay home more, I had time to work on my hobbies, and I was less stressed. Finally, my creative side, which I thought I didn't have, came out. I realized that giving homemade gifts meant more to me and to my loved ones.

This journey is a reminder of contentment & faith. We must be content with what God has given to us. We must have faith, He will provide all of our needs. He knows what He is doing and will not leave us during our trials and tribulations.






The Best Christmas Ever
Thinking that the kids will sleep late on Christmas Day, Dear Husband and I allowed them to stay up late on Christmas Eve. I woke up around 5:30, and noticed the house was quiet. I was surprised to find out that our children had been up for hours. Our son woke up at 3:00 a.m. and our daughter woke up 2 hours later. I stayed up long enough to talk see what Santa brought them.


Around 7:00, Our daughter crawled into bed with us . We slept for another couple of hours. Dear Husband woke up at 9:00. We had breakfast and then exchanged gifts. This Christmas was a very special Christmas, because we concentrated on the meaning of the gifts, rather on the quantity. We took turns opening each present and thanked one another. Because we were on a budget, the kids understood that they were only getting two gifts. Our children received two gifts that were on their lists. They were thankful for the extra presents.
Before going to bed, Our daughter turned to me said ,"this is the best Christmas ever, Mom. I am content with what I received, because I did not expect anything more. " What a joyful sound to my ears.




I want to share my heart and God's love with you today.
Click here to access card.

7 Comments:

  1. MrsMomma said...
    I like how you take off every 5th month. I think my daughter would respond better to that then having it all lumped together at summertime. I may have to try that next year when I'm making out our school schedule.

    I enjoyed reading about your Christmas & your previous Christmas blogs. Thank you for sharing!

    -Heather
    Angela said...
    Awesome post!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

    Angela

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/thomasjaz1999
    Trina said...
    I dido everything you said. By cutting back for 2 years now our life has changed and we are better for that. Thank you for being honest and open about what you do. This was a blessing to read. Merry CHRISTmas, Trina
    Mandy said...
    Incredible blog, Jean- I love your new format and the decorations are so pretty on it! Very creative and fun to browse through, too!!!
    Melissa said...
    Wonderful post.
    Melissa
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/kaysmarmey
    Tammy said...
    I love your Christmas memory! Thank you for the card and your thoughts and ideas on Christmas. I pray you and your family have a peaceful and joyful Christmas.

    Tammy
    Yellow Rose Arbor said...
    Your decorations are very pretty!

    To answer your question on my blog - I didn't actually start collecting dolls until about 1985. I do still have several of my childhood dolls though.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates