Friday, December 28, 2007


One thing I regret in my life was not being able to return to Vietnam to see my grandmother, before she passed away. I often wonder what happened to her, my uncles, aunts, and cousins after I left. I had the opportunity to have my questions answered when Unlce Hy visited me in 2007.
Vietnam was leaning towards communism in 1971. Because Uncle Hy was an officer for South Vietnam, he was put in prison many times. While he was in jail, Mom married my stepdad. After marriage, Mom and dad filed papers for our passports. Grandmother Ly was happy that we were going to live in a better place. At the same time, she was sad, because she was losing her only daughter and grandchildren.
Mom and Grandmother Ly kept our plans a secret. If communists knew, they would have arrested us. After we said good bye to Grandmother Ly, she went to see Uncle Hy to tell him that his sister and nieces have left for America that morning.
The fall of Vietnam was unavoidable as the years pass. While we were taking our freedom for granted in America, Grandmother Ly, Uncle Hy and his brothers were suffering. Not only did Viet Cong arrested Uncle Hy again, they also took my 7 year old cousin into captivity. With the help of a friend, the guards set my cousin free. Uncle Hy spent many years in a prison camp. The first two times he tried to escape, Viet Cong captured him, and returned him to camp for a beating. However, he did succeed in his third attempt. Uncle Hy knew he had gained his freedom, as he sailed towards America in a over-filled boat.
Labels: Herstory, Thanksgiving
6 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Wishing you a Happy New Year:)
Oh, and I LOVE the home school UTube. Some of the young gals that visit my site (like my daughter and her friends) are home schooling. I think they'll appreciate it.
Have a blessed day!
Stacy
You have a beautiful site here. I will be back again. Thank you for this wonderful tribute.
Praying 2008 is filled with God's presence. Love and hugs, Lynn