Friday, August 22, 2008
This week went a little smoother than last week. It was nice having Dear Husband around the house on Tuesday. Tropical Storm Fay did not deter us from schooling. However, only Minnie had school; The Inquisitor was sick.
We added speech and debate classes to our Thursday schedule. DD is retaking Beginning Public Speaking. Repeating the class will be good for her. She will have a chance to improve her public speaking techniques (eye contact, smile, hand share, persuasive etc. ). She has become a leader, instead of a follower. DS is taking both Speech and Debate. He is disappointed that the class format is not the same as last year. He will be required to do homework and be prepared for weekly quizzes.
I must confess that I purposely overloaded The Inquisitor's schoolwork. Somedays, I want to tell him that it is all right for him not to complete his work; however, I try to refrain from it as I prepare him for high school and college. Speaking of high school and college , I am still thinking about sending him to an International Baccalaureate (IB) school next year. I often feel that I do not challange him enough. He'll get that challange in an IB program, where he will be taking college prep courses. I have a year to decide. In the meantime, I am "testing the water" at home.
As for me, I am trying to slow down to listen to the LORD. Lately, He has been trying to tell me to focus on ministry. Similiar to the fact that I didn't listen to him when He wanted me to homeschool my kids, He practically spelled out the word "ministry" via Iris' Thankful Thursday Blog, before I got the message (ha-ha). All summer, I was battling over whether or not to join 2 local homeschool groups. I finally made a decision to join one. I know this is the right decision, because the LORD has opened the doors for me to minister to this co-op group every Tuesday. I hope one day I will learn just to listen to my LORD, instead of asking, "why".
Labels: Homeschooling, IB
1 Comment:
-
- Anonymous said...
August 22, 2008 at 8:59 AMPracticing public speaking is so important. Your dgt is going to be so blessed for it. Our classical group has the children (k-6 grad ages) do presentations each week that we meet. I wish our area had a Communicators for Christ -- I've heard excellent things about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





