Friday, October 2, 2009
Sending Mark to an IB hig school has been a blessing. Not only does he get the quality education, his sister Katherine benefits from it as well. While I was homeschooling Mark, I literally pushed Katherine's education aside. I told myself that I would return my attention to her after I was done teaching Mark. The truth was, by the time I finished teaching Mark, I was exhausted and ready to end the day. Poor Katherine, she did not get the quality education that I want for her.
Because Mark is in school this year, Katherine has my undivided attention. She didn't care for it at first, because I am constantly at her side. She also realizes that I expect more from her now, than before.
Instead of doing everything on our own at home, Katherine goes to a co-op group every Monday where she gets an enrichment in science, history, language arts, and arts. She loves being with her friends, and participating in class activties. The rest of the week, she spends her time at home doing assigned school work. Of course, I check her assignment and drill her on other subjects.
One good thing that comes out of this co-op is that Katherine realizes she is smart amongst her peers. For a long time, she thought she was below average. She was comparing herself to her brother, who is 3 grades above her. At one point, she thought she didn't have strong academic skills to be accepted to a IB high school in a few years.However,with this new self confidence, she told me that she is looking forward to follow her brother's footsteps.
Because Mark is in school this year, Katherine has my undivided attention. She didn't care for it at first, because I am constantly at her side. She also realizes that I expect more from her now, than before.
Instead of doing everything on our own at home, Katherine goes to a co-op group every Monday where she gets an enrichment in science, history, language arts, and arts. She loves being with her friends, and participating in class activties. The rest of the week, she spends her time at home doing assigned school work. Of course, I check her assignment and drill her on other subjects.
One good thing that comes out of this co-op is that Katherine realizes she is smart amongst her peers. For a long time, she thought she was below average. She was comparing herself to her brother, who is 3 grades above her. At one point, she thought she didn't have strong academic skills to be accepted to a IB high school in a few years.However,with this new self confidence, she told me that she is looking forward to follow her brother's footsteps.
Labels: family, Homeschooling
4 Comments:
-
- He & Me + 3 said...
October 3, 2009 at 1:57 PMThat is awesome. Good for you Katherine!- Pam said...
October 4, 2009 at 6:47 PMThat is wonderful for Katherine. I'm glad that both your kids are getting an opportunity to shine!- Trina said...
October 5, 2009 at 10:36 AMI am so excited for her . . . I can not wait to see how God grows her this year.- Alicia The Snowflake said...
October 5, 2009 at 10:29 PMI'm so glad to know that high school is working out for your son and it's benefiting your daughter. I hope you guys have a great school year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




