Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, December 2, 2009


My younger daughter Katherine totally surprises me.

When Katherine was younger, she had a hard time making friends. Whenever we went to the park, she clung to my side and refused to go play  with the other girls. I often had to introduce her to a group of girls, and left her to mingle.   After a few minutes, she either was playing by herself or was coming to sit next to me.

Katherine is still shy, when it comes to meeting new people. However, she does have a group of friends she hangs around with at our homeschooling co-op. Out of 6 sixth grade girls, she is friends with 5 of them. The sixth one is shyer than Katherine. The girl is the quietest one in class. During lunch period, she sits with her mom and sister. I rarely see her playing with Katherine and the other girls.

Remembering how Katherine didn't have any friends, I suggested that she should include the girl in the activities. Not getting any responses from Katherine,  I thought my suggestion went into one ear and out the other. Several days went by and I completely forgot about the conversation. However, as we were returning from dinner, Katherine announced that she will not buy anything new until she befriends with the girl. Mind you, this (not buying anything new) is a big commitment for Katherine. She rarely saves her allowances. When she has money, she spends.

Katherine is true to her words. When she went to class on Monday, she saved a seat next to her. Unfortunately, the girl was absent. She'll try it again next week.

What did you learn this week? Blog it and link it to  Musings of a Housewife.  

3 Comments:

  1. Alicia The Snowflake said...
    Wow! What a commitment. Making new friends can be very intimidating. Good for Katherine. I hope she and the girl become close friends!
    He & Me + 3 said...
    Good for her...I know they will be friends because of her efforts.
    Pam said...
    Good for her. I hope they become very close friends after her effort to reach out.

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates