Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Just like our parents took care of us when we were younger, it is our turn to take care of them.  I call it "Habitat for Grandparents' Humanity". Jeff spends his vacation working on either my mom's or his parents' homes. The kids and I went with him in the past. Because Mark is in school, Jeff went solo.

Just like the good old days, he is at home with his parents. When he chopped down the tree in the backyard, I wonder if flashbacks of him playing in the backyard went through my mother-in-law's mind. What about when he fixed the broken door knob? Does she remember a nine year old  trying to take the door knob apart? As I wonder about my mother-in-law and Jeff,  I start to think about me and Mark.

In a few short years, Mark will be off to college and to his first job. He will eventually get marry and have kids. When his family come for a visit, his dad and I will tell our grandkids the things he did when he was their age. Of course, Jeff and I will be older. Mark will take the lead role of "Habitat for Grandparents' Humanity." Jeff and I will be his #1 client.

When Mark is outside doing yard work, I will have flashbacks of an  8 year old boy braving himself  as he climbed to the top of  the tree.












I wish I coud capture this moment and time in a bottle. I am already missing  it. What moment did you miss or will you miss some day? Blog it and link it with Pam.

3 Comments:

  1. Pam said...
    Very sweet. Makes me want to cry! You are blessed & so are your parents, not every family lives like that.
    He & Me + 3 said...
    What beautiful memories. What a fun tree to climb in too.
    Anonymous said...
    I've found that when we reminisce about their childhood, we remember it differently. Strange but when seen through the eyes of a child the experience is different.
    Mama Bear

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates