Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's retro week on FB. I've been posting pictures of me when I was much younger. It has been so much fun, especially when a friend posts a picture of me that I've have long forgotten.

In the picture,I was waiting at the Tuscaloosa Airport. My family and I were waiting for mom's childhood friend Kim Hai (Hi) and family to arrive. She had not seen her best friend for more than 10 years. They kept in touch, but after the fall of Vietnam, the communications came to a halt.
Along with many people, Kim Hai and her family escaped from Vietnam via boat. Like the pilgrims, they stayed on a crowded boat for many days, even weeks. Many were scared that they would not make it to land. However, the dream of freedom and being in the land of opportunities kept many alive.
For those who survived the sea, they were put in a camp. They waited at the camp until either one their American relatives or a church sponsored them. Kim Hai and her family didn't pack many things when they began their journey. Knowing that her childhood friend wasn't going to abandon her, Kim Hai hid Mom's address in a safe and dry place.
When Mom received Kim Hai's letter, she was glad that Kim Hai and her family were alive. Mom began working on sponsorship paper. She went to local churches asking for help. Tuscaloosa News did a story on her. People called and asked how they could help. Churches donated clothes, dishes, furniture, and many things we daily take for granted.
Kim Hai and her family lived in Tuscaloosa for a couple of years, but eventually moved to California. They have been there for about 30 years and are doing well. Kim Hai owns a nail salon..Unfortunately, her husband passed away a couple of years ago. Her 3 children are doing well. The oldest son is a professor. The other son is an engineer, and the daughter is in Iraq fighting for our freedom.
Labels: I Remember When
5 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I didn't know how to post more than one picture at a time so did several different posts in a day! :)
Thank you for that sweet comment on my dead Christmas tree so long ago. How sweet of you!
Mona
Mona